THE Bursar, ADAMAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, MUBI
Mohammed Yusuf Pahuwa
The acting bursar
Mr. Mohammed Yusuf Pahuwa holds a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc Hons.) Degree in Accounting from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1996. He became a Certified National Accountant (CNA) of the Nigerian College of Accountancy, Jos in 2001.
He was born at Pullu-Bazza town, Michika Local Government Area of Adamawa State. He had his primary school at Jigalambu Primary School, Bazza from where he proceeded to Government Day Secondary School, Bazza. He completed his Secondary School Education at Government Secondary School Michika in 1986 and later got admitted to the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
He joined Adamawa State University in 2005 and served in the Bursary Department as a Senior Accountant from 2005 until 2009. He was promoted as Principal Accountant in charge of Final Accounts. He rose to the rank of Chief Accountant in 2013 where he was saddled with Budget, Pensions and Insurance Administration. In 2016, he was promoted to the rank of Deputy Bursar and thereafter appointed as Acting Bursar of the University in September, 2017.
Mr. Mohammed Y. Pahuwa prior to his employment in Adamawa State University, Mubi, worked as an Accountant (Payroll Officer) in the Accounts Department of Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology (NITT) Zaria, between October, 1999 and February,
He was subsequently promoted as Accountant I and redeployed as Revenue Officer from March 2001 till 2005. It was from this point that he got appointment in the Adamawa State University, Mubi.
He has attended several Conferences and Training locally and Internationally. He has vast experience in Accounting, Pension, Payroll Administration and E-payment and Ecollection for Public Sector organizations.
Mr. Mohammed Yusuf Pahuwa is happily married and blessed with four children.
The role of the Bursar
The Bursar handles all financial matters of the University. The office, known as the Bursary also handles purchases and store of goods in liaison with the Directorate of Procurement. The Bursar keeps records of the University’s and is directly responsible to the Vice Chancellor.
The specified details of the role of the Bursar are hereby outlined below:
- Provision of advice to the Council through the Vice Chancellor, on formulation of a policy for financial planning, management and administration.
- Advice and guidance to academic, administrative and service departments on the financial aspects of departmental management and the financial application of proposals from the departments both in the short and long terms.
- Responsibility for ensuring that the funds of the University are properly accounted for, and that they are for the purpose for which they are granted.
- A close commitment control of expenditure on capital account.
- Establishment of systematic short and long term investment policies.
- Minimizing waste in all areas, and improving financial controls.
- Periodic review of the accounting systems in the University.
- Acceptance of the need to establish effective communication between his office and rest of the University.
- Ensuring a regular flow of relevant financial information to Council, the Vice Chancellor and Departments.
- Maintenance of accounting records in a conventional accounting manner, guided by the uniform accounting system of Nigerian Universities.
- Presentation of the annual financial statements to external auditors for statutory audit.
- Receipt custody and issuance of all store items of the University in accordance with the provision of the uniform accounting system.
- Any such other duties as may be assigned by the Vice Chancellor or Council of the University.