THE Bursar, ADAMAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, MUBI
Mohammed Yusuf Pahuwa
The acting bursar
Mr. Mohammed Yusuf Pahuwa holds a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc Hons.) Degree in Accounting from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1996. He became a Certified National Accountant (CNA) of the Nigerian College of Accountancy, Jos in 2001.
He was born at Pullu-Bazza town, Michika Local Government Area of Adamawa State. He had his primary school at Jigalambu Primary School, Bazza from where he proceeded to Government Day Secondary School, Bazza. He completed his Secondary School Education at Government Secondary School Michika in 1986 and later got admitted to the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
He joined Adamawa State University in 2005 and served in the Bursary Department as a Senior Accountant from 2005 until 2009. He was promoted as Principal Accountant in charge of Final Accounts. He rose to the rank of Chief Accountant in 2013 where he was saddled with Budget, Pensions and Insurance Administration. In 2016, he was promoted to the rank of Deputy Bursar and thereafter appointed as Acting Bursar of the University in September, 2017.
Mr. Mohammed Y. Pahuwa prior to his employment in Adamawa State University, Mubi, worked as an Accountant (Payroll Officer) in the Accounts Department of Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology (NITT) Zaria, between October, 1999 and February,
He was subsequently promoted as Accountant I and redeployed as Revenue Officer from March 2001 till 2005. It was from this point that he got appointment in the Adamawa State University, Mubi.
He has attended several Conferences and Training locally and Internationally. He has vast experience in Accounting, Pension, Payroll Administration and E-payment and Ecollection for Public Sector organizations.
Mr. Mohammed Yusuf Pahuwa is happily married and blessed with four children.
The role of the Bursar
The Bursar handles all financial matters of the University. The office, known as the Bursary also handles purchases and store of goods in liaison with the Directorate of Procurement. The Bursar keeps records of the University’s and is directly responsible to the Vice Chancellor.
The specified details of the role of the Bursar are hereby outlined below:
- Provision of advice to the Council through the Vice Chancellor, on formulation of a policy for financial planning, management and administration.
- Advice and guidance to academic, administrative and service departments on the financial aspects of departmental management and the financial application of proposals from the departments both in the short and long terms.
- Responsibility for ensuring that the funds of the University are properly accounted for, and that they are for the purpose for which they are granted.
- A close commitment control of expenditure on capital account.
- Establishment of systematic short and long term investment policies.
- Minimizing waste in all areas, and improving financial controls.
- Periodic review of the accounting systems in the University.
- Acceptance of the need to establish effective communication between his office and rest of the University.
- Ensuring a regular flow of relevant financial information to Council, the Vice Chancellor and Departments.
- Maintenance of accounting records in a conventional accounting manner, guided by the uniform accounting system of Nigerian Universities.
- Presentation of the annual financial statements to external auditors for statutory audit.
- Receipt custody and issuance of all store items of the University in accordance with the provision of the uniform accounting system.
- Any such other duties as may be assigned by the Vice Chancellor or Council of the University.
The Office of the Bursar is one of the three key administrative units, responsible for the General Administration of the University. The office is responsible to the Vice Chancellor for all financial matters in the University.
All the specified functions of the office of the Bursar are carried out by the Bursary Department.
The Bursary Department is administratively organized and structured into four divisions, responsible to the Bursar for handling matters regarding the specified statutory role of the Bursar.
The four divisions of the Bursary Department are as follows.
- The Administrative Division
- Accounts and Management Information Division
- The Finance Division
- The Stores Control Division
The Bursar is the Head of the Administrative Division of the Bursary Department. For effective and efficient administration of the Department, the Bursar delegates some of responsibilities to the Deputy Bursar.
Senior Accounting Officer:
The Senior Accounting Officer is responsible to the Bursar for some specified duties.
The Personal Secretary to the Bursar performs secretarial duties.
The Division is headed by a Deputy Bursar or a Chief Accountant or a Senior Accounting Officer who shall be responsible to the Bursar for the general Co-ordination of the activities of the sections/units under the division.
The Division has six sections/units as detailed below:
- Revenue Unit
- Payment Unit
- Salaries and Wages (Payroll) Unit
- Expenditure Control Unit
- Staff Claims and Advances Unit
- Pension and Insurance Unit
The Division shall be headed by a Deputy Bursar or a Chief Store Officer or a Senior Accounting Officer responsible for general Co-ordination of the activities of the units under the Division.
- Purchasing Unit
- Central Store Unit
- Departmental Stores Unit
- Stores Accounting Unit
MOHAMMED Y. PAHUWA
B.Sc. Acct, CNA
HND, Acct, PGD Finance, CNA
B.Sc. Acct, CNA
B.Sc. Acct, CNA
HND, Acct, MBA Marketing
HND, Acct, CNA
B.Sc. Acct, CNA
ILIYASU U. HAMMAN
YAKUBU T. ADAMU
HND, Acct. CNA
BULUS E. DAKITA
B. Sc, Acct.
MARKUS Z. YUSUF
TAGO R. DORE
Con. Sec II
HANAZIM HAMMAN KOLA
Con. Sec II
Dip. in Acct
REGINA B. TAKU
Cert, in Accts & Audit
IBRAHIM B. GHAJI
|1||M. B. ABUBAKAR||Director||HND Acct, CNA|
|2||MOHAMMED A. HOLMA||Deputy Director||B.Sc. Acct, MBA,ACA|
|3||HUSSEINI BELLO||Principal Acct||HND, Purchasing & Supply|
|4||ELSON KWARMA||Revenue Officer||ND, Acct.|
|5||FELICIA TSAKMA||Budget Clerk||SSCE|
|6||BELLO NJOBDI||Revenue Clerk||SSCE|