THE ACTING VICE CHANCELLOR, ADAMAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, MUBI
DR. STEPHEN A. LAGU
The ACTING vice chancellor
Dr. Stephen A. Lagu, the Acting Vice Chancellor was born on the 4th June, 1959 at Gulak, he hails from Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State. Dr. Lagu is happily married and blessed with children.
He attended Kaya Primary School, Gulak from 1969-1975 and went to Teachers’ College, Mubi from 1975-1980. He had a National Certificate in Education (NCE) from College of Education Jalingo in 1984, B.A.Ed. (English Language) from University of Maiduguri (1991), M.A.(English Language from the same University in 2005 and a Ph.D (English for Specific Purposes) in 2016 from the Modibbo Adama University of Technology and now Modibbo Adama University, Yola.
Dr. Stephen A. Lagu taught in Michika Local Government Education Authority (LGEA) as a class Teacher (1980-1981) and later did his one National Youth Service at the Community Grammar School Apomu, Oyo State now Osun State (1984-1985) from where he continued his career with then Gongola State now Adamawa State Post Primary Schools Management Board as a class Teacher (1985-1993) and rose to the rank of Senior Master. In 1993 he started teaching and research at the Adamawa State College of Agriculture, Ganye (1993-2008) and Adamawa State University, Mubi 2008 – date
Dr. Lagu served as Deputy Vice Chancellor Administration of Adamawa State University, Mubi from 2021 December, 2022 from where merit and excellent record of service led to his appointment as the Acting Vice- Chancellor of this great institution by the University Visitor, His Excellency the Executive Governor of Adamawa State, Rt. Hon. Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri on 1st January, 2023 through the University Governing Council led by Hon. Awwal D. Tukur.
Since his assumption of office as the Ag. Vice-Chancellor of this University, the fortunes of the University has since assumed better dimensions and a brighter light has been seen.
He held various Academic and Administrative responsibilities in the University (Adamawa State University, Mubi) among which are:
- Acting Vice Chancellor when the Vice Chancellor, Adamawa State University, Mubi was away 5th July, 2022.
- Acting Vice Chancellor in the Absence of the Vice Chancellor, Adamawa State University, Mubi from 29th March to 10th April, 2021.
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor Administration, Adamawa State University, Mubi. March, 2021 to December, 2022
- Senate Representative on Governing Council, Adamawa State University, Mubi 2020-2021
- Dean, Faculty of Arts, Adamawa State University, Mubi. 2017-2018
- Dean, Faculty of Arts, Adamawa State University, Mubi. 2017-2021
- Head, Department of Languages, Adamawa State University, Mubi. 2016-2018
- Departmental Timetable Officer, Department of Languages, Adamawa State University, Mubi. 2014-2017
- Departmental Examinations Officer, Department of Languages, Adamawa State University, Mubi. 2014-2017
- Secretary, GST Board, Adamawa State University, Mubi 2009
Dr. Lagu has rendered a lot of developmental services in various capacities and places as he has a personal mission of adding value to humanity through hard work and sincerity. He is known for making people, organizations and situations better than he found them. Some of his recorded community development services include:
- Extra Mural Classes in English Language, College of Agriculture, Mubi 2004 to 2008
- Master Trainer, Training of Teachers Refresher Training on Teacher Development Package for Teachers. Organized by IRC and GIZ for Teachers in Adamawa State: 2019 and 2020
Publications and Participation in Field Studies
- Lagu, S. A., and Onwugbufor, I. C. (2022). “Historic Present in Nigerian Fiction: A Post-Structuralist Reading of Emmanuel C. S. Ojukwu’s Sugarcane Receipts.” Journal of Language Literature and Cultural Studies (JOLLACS). Vol. 1, No. 3. Pp.113-124, Department of English and Literary Studies, Plateau State University,
- Lagu, S. (2021). “Systemic-Functional Analysis of Thisday Editorials” Scholars Bulletin 7(8): Pp 205-214; United Arab Emirate.
- Lagu, S. A. (2021). “Persuasive Strategies of 2015 Inaugural Speech of Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, Nigeria.” Saudi International Journal of Linguistics and Literature 4(8); Pp 242-248; Saudi Arabia
- Lagu, S.A. (2021). “Language and Ideology in Chika Unigwe’s On Black Sisters Street”. Anyigba Journal of Arts & Humanities. 13(8); Pp 288-305, Faculty of Arts, Kogi State University,
- Lagu, S. (2021). “A Pragmatic Interpretation of Face and Acts in President Olusegun Obasanjo’s Speech Text A Clarion Call”. South Asian Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(4); Pp 252-257; Bangladesh.
- Lagu, S. A. (2020). “A Diexis Analysis of Selected Speeches of Yemi Osibanjo.” Journal of Languages, Linguistics and Literary Studies, Vol. 9 3, Pp 111 – 130. Faculty of Arts. Imo State University.Owerri
- Lagu, S. A, Abashi, A. M. and Isa, J. (2020). An Examination of Mood Structure in Selected Speeches of Governor Darius Dickson Ishaku of Taraba State”. Journal of Language and Linguistics. 6 No. 3, Pp 170 – 184.Department of Modern European Languages, Namdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
- Lagu, S. A. (2020). “A Speech Act Analysis of Former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s A Clarion Call.” Mubi Journal of Languages. 1 No. 1, Pp 1 – 9. Department of Languages.Adamawa State University, Mubi.
- Lagu, S. A, Abashi, A. M. and Bello U. M. (2020). “A Graphological Analysis of the Written Compositions of Students of English, Federal University, Lafia.” Mubi Journal of Languages. 1 No. 1, Pp 10 – 23, Department of Languages, Adamawa State University, Mubi.
- Lagu, S. A and Hansin I. K. (2020). “Discourse Analysis of Selected Mosaic Laws.” Journal of Languages, Linguistics and Literary Studies (JOLLS). 9 No. 6 Pp 41-51 September, 2020, Faculty of Arts, Imo State University, Owerri.
- Lagu, S. A. (2020). “Analysis of the Application of Discourse Markers in the Essays of Public Administration Students of Adamawa State University, Mubi.” The Bridge1.No.5; Pp 292-314, Department of English, Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- Lagu, S. (2020). “A Pragmatic Analysis of Health Posters in FCT, Abuja.” The Journal of Communicative English. Vol. 24; Pp 1-32, Department of General Studies, Federal University of Agriculture, Markudi.
- Lagu, S. (2020). “Analysis of Ideological Perspective in Selected Governors’ Inaugural Speeches 2015.” The Journal of Communicative English, Vol. 25; Pp 86-103, Department of General Studies, Federal University of Agriculture, Markudi.
- Lagu, S. A. (2019). “Grammatical Errors in the Expository Essays of Public Administration Students of Adamawa State University, Mubi”. Research Journal of English Language and Literature. 7 No. 1 Pp 2321-3108 (Online) www.rjelal.com; India.
- Lagu, S. A. (2018). “The Acceptability of Nigerian English among Senior Secondary School Teachers in Adamawa State”. Journal of Literature, Languages and Linguistics. 50 Pp 8-13; India
- Lagu, S. A. (2018). “Adjectival Errors in the Descriptive Essays of Remedial Students of the School of Remedial and Basic Studies, Adamawa State University, Mubi”. Gombe Journal of General Studies. 2 No. 1. Pp 10-17, Department of General Studies, Gombe State University, Gombe.
- Lagu, S. A. (2017). “The Contributions of the English Language to Nigeria’s Development.” Research Journal of English Language and Literature (RJELAL), 5; Issue 3. 2017. Pp 709-713; India.
- Lagu S. A. (2013) “Challenges of Teaching English as a Second Language in Nigeria”. Journal of Science and Science Education, Adamawa State University, Mubi. 19-24.
Books Authored and Edited
- Lagu, S. A, Aworo-okoroh,J.O .Fareo, D.O. Ibrahim, J .F. and Yusuf, K .A. (2022) eds, Revitalizing Education for Sustainable Security and National Development: A Festschrift in Honour of Professor Kaletapwa George Farauta, ISBN 978-978-999-381-3 ; Sam Dokko Press, Mubi
- Lagu, S.A, Aworo-Okoroh, J.O and Ahembe, T. I (2021) Style and Varieties of English: ISBN 978-978-890-62-6; Ahmadu Bello University Press,
Dr. Lagu is a combination of intelligence, faithfulness and unalloyed commitment to assigned responsibilities and duties with excellence and precision as his goal.